GDS is a Saturday in which we gather as a congregation to work with various people, agencies and groups to share Jesus and meet the needs of our community.We are currently in our planning stage.
We are always looking for person/agency in need of help. If you know of any person or agency that has a need(s), please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Jimmy through the main office. We also ask that you be in prayer for this ministry.
Various times during the year we have members interested in Early Response Training (ERT). We will host or attend another training event as needed. Be looking for news and information concerning this ministry.
There are opportunities to organize our Disaster Relief Team to help in times of emergency. We hope these times never happen, but when they do our team stands ready.
If you are interested in being apart of this team, and would like to know about training opportunities, please contact Brent Severson at email@example.com.
Handy Man Ministry
The Hand Man Ministry of FWBFUMC is designed to help those of our church family who are in need of help with simple around the house issues. Many in our church are elderly and simply cannot do the things they used to be able to.
If you, or if you know of someone who is in need of help with yard work, cleaning, changing light bulbs, moving furniture, simple light construction, etc. please contact the church office and our Handy Man Coordinator, Jerry Stone will contact you.
Our Homeless Ministry team meets on a regular basis to plan and coordinate efforts with other churches and organizations in our community.
We offer a community breakfast for the homeless and working poor each Tuesday morning from 6:30AM till 7:30AM in the fellowship hall. If you would like to know more about, or get involved with, this important ministry contact Bruce Ravan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GIVE” Non Profit Fair Trade Holiday Market
At “GIVE”, there will be a variety of one-of-a kind gifts to buy including: handmade note cards from FWB First UMC’s Children’s Ministry, coffee and chocolate from Honduras, scarves made by Indian artisans, jewelry from a fair trade organization in Ecuador and more. There will also be the opportunity to make monetary tax-deductible “gifts” (ranging from $5 to $100) to a wide variety of local and global charities. Whether you purchase a gift or make a monetary donation, your gift will give twice.
Benefiting organizations include: SERRV, Rahab’s Rope, Equal Exchange, Heifer Project, United Methodist Children’s Home, Catholic Charities, FWB First UMC Backpack Ministry for Silver Sands School, Covenant Hospice and more.
For more information contact Denise Whited or Sharon Lopez. Admission is free and credit cards, checks and cash are accepted.
Opportunity Place Meals
On the fourth Monday of each month, an individual, family or class from FWBFUMC is responsible for preparing and taking dinner to Opportunity Place. Opportunity Place is an emergency shelter for families with children and single women. If your Sunday school class, Bible study, or group of friends would like to prepare and take a meal, please contact Denise Whited email@example.com, or you can sign up on the back of the attendance form. The church kitchen is available for the cooking of the meal as well.
Student Ministry Mission Opportunities
High School Mission Trip
- Each Summer our High school students travel to such areas as New Orleans, Mississippi or Kentucky to share Jesus through serving others.
Inner City Mission
- This is a ministry to the local community. Each Summer we partner with several community organizations to help people with yard work, cleaning, painting, light construction, etc.
Children’s Christmas Ministry
- Each Christmas we partner with Fresh Start for Children and Families help families provide gifts for their children and a meal for the family on Christmas day.
Mission Work Days
- These are Saturdays throughout the year where our students serve.
Children’s Mission Opportunities
School Supplies for children in need
- As our families prepare for school each year we ask for donations to help supply children in our community with the necessary supplies to prepare for the new school year. This year we supplied Wright Elementary with enough school supplies for fifty students.
- Each week the flower ministry of our church takes the flowers from the previous Sunday’s worship services and divides them into smaller arrangements for our home-bound and hospitalized members.
- During our Wednesday afternoon program our children create cards and crafts to add to these flower arrangements.
Back Pack Ministry
- Our church partners with Silver Sands School to help provide weekend meals for students. Many families who need assistance with free and reduced lunches are also unable to provide meals at home over the weekends. These back packs are filled with enough non-perishable food items that allow that student to have throughout the weekend.
- Donations are needed for this ministry. Items needed weekly: 31 of each – oatmeal, grits, ramen noodle, mac & cheese packs, 31 chicken noodle cans, 31 Chef Boyardee cans, 62 snacks. Contact: Cathy Wyant firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shine Your Light Neighborhood Ministry
- To reach our community with the word and witness of Jesus Christ. FWBFUMC wants to see our church family shining our light for Jesus Christ during trick or treating in the streets and neighborhoods of our community. We want to do this by having teams of people joining together in your neighborhoods offering a clean alternative and witness for Christ.
- To learn more CLICK HERE
The most important service that we offer is the saving knowledge of a relationship with Jesus Christ. For general information on our local missions and outreach efforts view our Missions Brochure or contact our church office.